Monday, November 13, 2006

[Exhibition] Diana Picture - Kevin Ballantine @ the Perth Centre for Photography; Nov 16 - Dec 26

Nothing to do with the late, lamented Princess (though what a title!), this exhibition should be of interest to those in love with instinctive, accidental or off-the-cuff photography.

Diana Pictures
by Kevin Ballantine
On show at the Perth Centre for Photography
91 Brisbane St, Perth
Thurs Nov 16 to Sun Dec 16.

Ballantine writes:

"Last time I was in in Paris, I left the Musee Rodin and walked down boulevard des Invalides when a woman came hurrying towards me from the direction of the Metro. She was so Paris. I didn’t have time to do anything other than wind on the film and shoot the Nikon from the hip but I made a picture."

"The negative was overexposed and out of focus and her feet were cut off, but I liked the print very much. A rushing Camille Claudel scurrying by."

"As the best photos often aren’t intended, this time I had brought to Paris a borrowed, Kodak Diana. A toy like camera, with a plastic lens, that leaks light, unevenly exposes film, overlaps frames and produces softly focussed, hazy, whimsical and unintended images."

"And so when light and things and locations don’t conspire to create a picture, the Diana perhaps could come up with something..."

Note that the PCP gallery is open Weds - Sun, 12pm to 5pm.
www.pcp.org.au

No comments: